Berra Jarang’s Daughter. Not Jarangsdottir.
Child of Jarang the Redsmith and Heri Horse-herder, both dead.
Tribe, Clan, Class
History and Context
A displaced youth who was sent away from Sartar to Esrolia, Berra has grown up to be a Humakti warrior. She returned to Sartar at the start of the campaign.
Berra’s people, the Blue Tree Clan, live on a tributary of the Creek, in an area with good horse grazing, and a cliff on which there grows a sacred tree, its trunk blue from some trick of the area, or long years of the application of woad. The area below the cliff is good land, but for the lethal windings of the local river, which can change course several times in Storm season and Sea season, as rains or meltwater come down.
Berra counts her years with a handful of Clacks, putting each one into a line and saying a thing of import that happened. It is possible for the numerate to work backwards. Special years are represented by a Lunar.
1604: “This was the year that your grandfather’s death was told to us. He died after Boldhome.”
1605: “This is the year of the three head fight. The Turtle Clan was friendless.”
1606: “This is the year that you were born. The river made many forks and small islands.”
1607: “This is the year Chief Ganah died. The harvest was good and the river was kind.”
1608: “This is the year of strong colts, and a horse that had a golden mane up on the cliff. Your sister was born.”
1609: “This is the year your father died. Your mother stayed with the clan and your cousins’s cousins. The wine branch of the river flooded the ox hall.”
1610: “This is the year the Trickster made the dunghill disappear. A skeleton walked into the Tula.”
1611: “This is the year that your cousin Ilda was married to a Turtle Carl. It was a year marriage that lasted until his death.”
1612: “This is the year the Lunars tried to tax Coppit twice, and he became an outlaw to them.”
1613: “This is the year that Sartar rose up against the Lunars.”
1614: “This is the year of Cold Sorrow, when wives had greater number than husbands.”
1615: “This is the year the Grazelanders savaged the Lunars.
1616: “This is the year of three raids by Dark Trolls.”
1617: “This is the year that your mother died. It was in Storm Season, on a clear day.”
1618: “This is the year that you are sent away. Now you must begin the telling yourself. This is the year I was sent away from home. I swore to be a warrior. I went to live with kin in the Holy Country.”
1619: “This is the year I first saw Nochet.”
1620: “This is the year I became an adult. It was in Storm Season. I began training with the militia.”
1621: “This is the year of the Great Winter. Orlanth and Ernalda died.”
1622: “This is the year the Great Winter’s ice cracked. There was a battle at the Auroch Hills.”
1623: “This is the year that Nochet was under siege. In Sea Season, I was initiated with Humakt. I fought.”
1624: “This is the year of Pennel Ford. I was marked by Humakt on the shoulder, and rallied my troops. I went to the City of Wonders.”
1625: “I fought for Argrath in Pavis and acclaimed him King. I journeyed to Whitewall and Heroquested.”
1626: “I travelled on a river. I was Humakt. I was tricked and Voria lived. The Truth Sword was made for me.”
1627: “This is my year now. I saw the Feathered Horse Queen. I was Humakt, and lost a curved sword.”
The Saga of Berra
Berra’s almost-IC saga, telling her story, along with selected quotes, explanations, and links to minor scenes. The saga is broken down by years.
Verses from 1625
Heark to the words of the saga of Berra…
Standing by Scafloc the Herder of Llamas…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 2 1625 Fought with the spirit who called himself masteredBerra was gifted the bright bronze sword Wind ToothBright as her mother’s red hair in the hearthfireBright as the life blood she spilled from the ogres Turned towards Whitewall her steps for the Earth-daysBerra invited the healer to guest…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 3 1625 Tall as a priestess encrowned by the morningBerra led soldiers and herdsmen in ritualJoining in food all the scattered and nervousBravening bolstering boasting of future Sword-blades were darkened and shields by blows sunderedUndead were rising and downhill were tumblingBerra stood firm in the ranks with D’Val…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 4 1625 Time in the heavens stood still in its passingTime in the hill fort was gone in a heartbeatNighttime and daytime had passed while they restedWatching the landscape and tending their sword-blades Back at a distance sat Rajar and BisonForeground was filled by the Durulz and Sword-childOnto…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 5 1625 On the next morning soon after the worshipBerra set off with her magic death-strengthened1Indications of a short worship ceremony here give a hint that Berra was at some point touched by Humakt’s favour. Rather than spending a full day in the process of communion, Berra (and…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 10 1625 Into the Far Place the caravan settledAlda Chur held them within walls of safetyBerra made haste to the temple of HumaktThere to debate on the Sword with the Priesthood Gallem of Humakt the High Sword asked questionsSaying he knew of the daughter of JarangAsking for truth…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 11 1625, Dark Season Cold was the wind as the heroes strode upwardsChill were the rocks of the mountain of OrlanthCool was the hatred of Berra for failureWarm were the hopes of mankind5It is generally considered that ‘mankind’ here covers both Tiwr the unicorn, and Salid the Troll-kin,…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 16 1625 Hailing the Heroes of Sacred-Time QuestingBerra stepped into the crowd with proud ErilMarched with the brothers of Humakt in concertSaw Kallyr Starbringer starting the Light Quest There in the man-press was Rajar the MightySlighted by Eurmal in guise as a sneak-thiefRage made him strike with his…
Diaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 17 1625 All they had slain lay in ruin before themBerra the victory had with her blood-friendsThree of the ten on swift horses escaped themCursed by the victors and harried by arrows Then the accounting of living and death-claimedRajar lay shattered and bleeding his life outSaved by the…
1625. After failing to inspire herself with her Truth rune at the rededication of a temple of Humakt, Berra began to meditate on it more.
- Interlude: Wrong In The HeadI01 — Wrong In The Head 1626, Dark Season Season, Week, Day A Flashback Session in Dark Season, 1626, to introduce Maalira. Dramatis Personae PC BerraMaaliraVaranisXenofos NPC ErhehtaSome ClothesBaboonsA ghoulSome Clothes, but DifferentA horrific magicianSome skeletonsSo many bison spirits. ...
- In Your HeartMaalira — In Your Heart 1626 Context Season/Week/Day/Time and Notable Context. Events Affada glares at Erhehta, but does not argue, and goes to do as she was told. The tiny man looks up at Maalira. “Not all the spirits will know you are a ...
- Erhehta AttackedMaalira — Erhehta Attacked 1626, Earth Season Context 1626, Earth Season, shortly before the PCs are sent for. Events It is late in Earth Season. The hot temperatures of Fire Season have given way to the cooler days of Earth Season, and it has ...
- Fragment 2.30 – The Sacred Time RitesDiaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 2 30 1626 Deep in the darkness of Found SeparationEril showed secrets to all of his TempleDancing the acts of the God of the sword-waySinging the deeds for the lay-members gathered When he withdrew for the rites that were secretBerra gave up of her magic to serve himTouched on ...
- Fragment 2.29 – The Acclaimation in SilenceDiaries The Saga Of Berra — Fragment 2 29 1626 When she returned to the city of SartarBerra was greeted by silence from ErilTaking his words as advice for her actionBerra said nothing of Heroes in Boldhome Sitting to feast with the great and the mightyBerra was silent until Eril called herBowing her head to the ...
- Back and There AgainS02 — Session 29 1626, Storm Season Storm Season 1626. Dramatis Personae PC BerraIrilloNalaRajarSuurakiValseenaVaranisXenofos NPCKallyr and her croniesTennebrisEril Events As before, the log will be accompanied by extracts of poetry from the private collection ...
- VS 097 After the RewardVaranis — 1626 0758 Aftermath2 ???? Context from Varanis’ perspective Berra and Varanis discuss Kallyr’s boons and Dormal’s in particular.
- VS 246 ConfessionsVaranis — 1626 0996 Confessions ????, Sea Season, Disorder Week Context Sea Season, Disorder Week, Freezeday – well before dawn. . Events Confessions Varanis and Berra re-enter the Grape about an hour after Yelmrise. They part ...
- VS 245 RecklessVaranis — 1626 0994 Reckless ????, Sea Season, Disorder Week Context Sea Season, Disorder Week, Freezeday – well before dawn. At the White Grape in Boldhome and from there up to the Flame of Sartar. This is presented in three parts:Part 1 – the climb/racePart 2 – at the topPart ...
- VS 095 Aftermath of the QuestVaranis — 1626 0756b Aftermath ???? Context from Varanis’ perspective Feeling guilty, Varanis tries to visit Berra at the Temple of Humakt. Berra sends her away.
1626 Earth Season Scenes
- On GuardIn truth, the procession probably needs little by way of security; the group is on roads in a civilised place. Still, Berra makes sure that people are on watch and for a while as they ride she is one of them. After breakfast has been found and eaten, she rides her beautiful golden-eyed horse alongside ...
- Confidences and confessions1628, Fire Season. On the road back toward Sartar, the day after the Lightbringers Quest. Berra tells Varanis about her new-found wolf ability and Varanis shows Berra her sword.
- Attempted apology1628, Fire Season. They’ve just survived the Lightbringers Quest, again, and are on the road to return to Sartar. Berra has been managing to be a guard, but not much else.
- HeroQuest 5The quest sweeps towards a conclusion. (1628, Fire Season, Stasis Week (ish))
- Crying WolfBerra and Maalira talk about Maalira’s part in the quest and the potential political fallout.
- Myth of Eurmal LightbringerMyth: The name’s Eurmal. Eurmal Lightbringer.
- HeroQuest 4The descent into the Underworld continues while Berra keeps rebelling. (1628, Fire Season, Stasis Week (ish))
- HeroQuest 3Valseena is pulled into the quest, as is Dormal. The Lightbringers make the sea journey. (1628, Fire Season, Stasis Week (ish))
- HeroQuest 2The quest proceeds as the Lightbringers begin to come together. Berra continues to resist, even as Jar-eel takes her in hand. (1628, Fire Season, Stasis Week (ish))
- HeroQuest 1Berra was resisting the quest as much as possible, while Varanis embraced it fully. Maalira, as Chalana Arroy, went hard to work with healing. (1628, Fire Season, Stasis Week (ish))